I am a native bilingual speaker of South-American Portuguese and Spanish with BA and MA degrees in English-Portuguese Translation from PUC-Rio University in Brazil. I have been a full-time professional translator since 1996. As well as text translation and revision in Portuguese, Spanish and English in a number of fields, I specialize in subtitling for cinema, DVD, cable TV, and corporate clients. I am the owner of Scriba Traduções, a Brazilian translation company founded in 2001. Since 2005 I have taught translation and subtitling techniques through classroom and distance courses. I have lived in Toronto, Canada, since 2007, and am a member of ATIO and ATA.
Master’s Degree: PUC-Rio, Master in Language Studies, research line on Translation Studies, 2005.
Thesis: “A tradução para legendas: dos polissistemas à singularidade do tradutor” (in Portuguese).
Graduate Diploma: PUC-Rio, Specialization course in English-Portuguese Translation, 1997.
Bachelor’s Degree: PUC-Rio, Graduation in Languages with emphasis on Translation, 1996.
Several translation and proofreading services for companies and individuals about varied subjects, including Social Sciences and Humanities, Arts and Entertainment, Business and Marketing, Computer Science, Health, Literature (fiction and non-fiction), sports, educational materials, etc. Experience with website and software localization.
Among current clients are many leading Brazilian and multinational institutions, including corporations, universities and research centers, NGOs and foundations, event producers, publishers, and cinema and video producers.
Subtitling services since 1998. Dozens of films and documentaries translated for cinema and video producers, as well as technical and institutional services.
Books translated since 1997:
- A Tale of Highly Unusual Magic, by Lisa Papademetriou, published by Arqueiro as Uma história incomum sobre livros e magia
- The Sea of Tranquility, by Katja Millay, published by Arqueiro as Mar da tranquilidade
- Tiger’s Promise, by Colleen Houck, published by Arqueiro as A promessa do tigre
- Reconstructing Amelia, by Kimberly McCreight, published by Arqueiro as Reconstruindo Amelia
- Home Front, by Kristin Hannah, published by Arqueiro as Quando você voltar
- Night Road, by Kristin Hannah, published by Arqueiro as O caminho para casa
- 1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die, by Adrian Tierney-Jones, published by Sextante as 1001 cervejas para beber antes de morrer (partial translation)
- Rework, by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson, published by Sextante as Reinvente sua empresa
- Cats, by Bruce Fogle, published by Jorge Zahar Editor as Guia ilustrado Zahar de gatos
- 1001 Inventions that Changed the World, by Jack Challoner, published by Sextante as 1001 invenções que mudaram o mundo (partial translation)
- Herbs, Spices and Flavourings, by Tom Stobart, published by Jorge Zahar Editor as Ervas, temperos e condimentos de A a Z (partial translation)
- Creating Magic – 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney, by Lee Cockerell, published by Sextante as Criando magia
- The Flip Side, by Flip Flippen, published by Sextante as Pare de se sabotar e dê a volta por cima
- 1001 Wines You Must Taste Before You Die, by Neil Beckett, published by Sextante as 1001 vinhos para beber antes de morrer (partial translation)
- Film, by Ronald Bergan, published by Jorge Zahar Editor as Guia ilustrado Zahar de cinema
- Wines of the World, published by Jorge Zahar Editor as Vinhos do mundo todo
- D. W. Winnicott – A Biographical Portrait, by Brett Kahr, published by Exodus Editora as Vida e obra de D. W. Winnicott: um retrato biográfico
- Elie Wiesel – Messenger to All Humanity, published by Exodus Editora
- Einstein Lived Here, by Abraham Pais, published by Editora Nova Fronteira as Einstein viveu aqui
Revision and update of Ediouro’s Spanish-Portuguese-Spanish dictionary, 1999.
Courses, Conferences and Publications
- Subtitling Workshop (12 hours), MCIS Language Services, Toronto, May 2015.
- Subtitling Techniques and Practice (30 hours), York University, Toronto, September-November 2013; February-March 2015.
- Course Translation for Film Subtitling: Theory, Technique and Practice (36 hours), PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May-June 2007, April-May 2008, November-December 2009, July 2011 (updated, 42 hours); February and July 2012; February, July and December 2013; December 2014.
- Online Subtitling courses, several editions.
- Course Translation for Film Subtitling: Theory, Technique and Practice (36 hours), DOTCorporation/Scriba Traduções, São Paulo, Brazil, January-February 2009, March 2010.
- Course of English-Spanish and Portuguese-Spanish Subtitling (19 hours), Instituto Crandon, Montevideo, Uruguay, basic module in October 2006 and June 2007, basic and advanced modules in October 2008.
- Translation of Human and Social Sciences (45 hours), part of PUC-Rio’s Translator Training course, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June-August 2005; May-July 2006; 2007.
- Subtitling, part of the Specialization Course in Spanish-Portuguese Translation at Universidade Gama Filho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, September 2005 (28 hours); Rio de Janeiro & São Paulo, Brazil, 2006-07 (40 hours).
- Workshop on Computer Science Translation, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Technical Translation class for the Language Graduation course, 2001.
- Computer Tools and Internet Resources for Translators, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Technical Translation class for the Language Graduation course, 2000.
- Translation of Computer Science Texts, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Languages Week, 2000.
Talks and conference sessions:
- “Fundraising and Reaching Diverse Linguistic Communities using Audiovisual Materials” Breakout session co-presented with Lalita Krishna. Docs for Change Conference. Toronto, Canada, October 16, 2015.
- “What’s in a Line Break?” Written with Bianca Bold, presented by Bianca Bold at the 54th Annual Conference of the American Translators Association. San Antonio, USA, November 9, 2013.
- “The Case for Corporate and Technical AVT”. Presented at the 5th International Conference Media For All. Dubrovnik, Croatia, September 26, 2013.
- “Decluttering: Dealing with Formal Constraints in Subtitling”. Written with Bianca Bold, presented by Bianca Bold at the 53rd Annual Conference of the American Translators Association. San Diego, USA, October 26, 2012.
- “Introduction to Subtitling Techniques and Strategies for English<>Portuguese Translators”. Presented with Bianca Bold at the 52nd Annual Conference of the American Translators Association, Boston, USA, 28 October 2011.
- “Legendagem de filmes: o mercado de vídeos técnicos e institucionais”. Presented at the III Congresso Internacional de Tradução e Interpretação da Abrates, Porto Alegre, Brazil, 19-21 March 2010.
- “Introduction to Subtitling Techniques and Strategies”. Presented at the Spring Conference of the Portuguese Language Division of the American Translators Association, Amherst, Massachusetts, USA, 6 June 2009.
- “Introduction to Subtitling”. Videoconference to undergraduate Translation students at the University of Illinois, USA, 21 April 2009.
- “Legendagem de filmes: o que é, como é feita e como o mercado funciona”. Open audioconference through the Aulavox system, December 2008.
- “Introduction to Subtitling”. Videoconference to undergraduate students of Translation Studies at the University of Florida (Gainesville), USA, 25 October 2006.
- “Entre a técnica e a arte: os desafios do ensino de tradução para legendagem”. Presented in a set of integrated papers under the title “Traducción del español”, with José Luis Sánchez, Meritxell Almarza and Carlos Nougué, in the 4th Congresso Brasileiro de Hispanistas, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 06 September 2006. Abstract published in Programa e Livro de Resumos, p.65.
- “Introdução à tradução para legendas”. Conference to undergraduate students of Language (Spanish) at the State University of Rio de Janeiro (UERJ), Brazil, November 2005.
- “Singularidade, transgressão e ética na tradução para legendas”. Presented in a set of integrated papers under the title “Diferentes práticas tradutórias no contexto das teorias pós-estruturalistas: identidade, subjetividade e ética”, together with Maria Alice Antunes and Gabriela Castelo Branco Ribeiro, in IX Encontro Nacional e III Encontro Internacional de Tradutores: “Mídia, Tradução e Ensino”, Fortaleza, Brazil, 01 September 2004. Abstract published in Programme & Abstracts, p.40.
- “Manipulação, transgressão e ética na tradução para legendas”. Presented in a round table named “Os limites da tradução”, together with Maria Paula Frota, Cristina Carneiro Rodrigues and Lauro Amorim, in III CIATI – Congresso ibero-americano de tradução e interpretação, São Paulo, Brazil, 12 May 2004. Abstract published in Volume of Abstracts, p. 6.
- “Teorias e práticas de interpretação: o caso das traduções de O senhor dos anéis em língua portuguesa”. Presented in a set of integrated papers under the title “Interpretação: modos de dizer, modos de fazer”, together with Maria Paula Frota, Helena Martins and Ana Paula El-Jaick, in XII Congresso da Assel-Rio: “Linguagens: modos de dizer, modos de fazer”, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 17 November 2003. Abstract published in Livro de Resumos e Programação, p. 109.
- “Tradução por máquina: técnicas e exemplos”. Conference presented with Maria Carmelita Pádua Dias at the Specialization Course on Translation, Language Department, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 22 July 1998 and October 1999.
- “Sistemas de tradução por máquina: ferramentas de auxílio à tradução”. Conference presented at UFRJ’s Language Department, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 1 December 1998.
- “Sistemas de tradução por máquina: ferramentas de auxílio à tradução” (co-author: Maria Carmelita Pádua Dias). Presented as an individual paper at VII Encontro Nacional de Tradutores e I Encontro Internacional de Tradutores, USP/ABRAPT/CITRAT, São Paulo, Brazil, 11 September 1998. Abstract published in Programação e Resumos.
- “Multimedia and Audiovisual Translation”. Chapter in Jost Zetzsche’s The Translator’s Tool Box: A Computer Primer for Translators, version 12, November 2015, pp. 395-422.
- “Time to Declutter: 15 Decluttering Tips for Subtitling (And Other Media)”. ATA Chronicle, v. XLI, n. 11, Nov/Dec 2012, pp. 10-13.
- “Quality Standards or Censorship? Language Control Policies in Cable TV Subtitles in Brazil”. Meta, v. 57, n. 2, June 2012, pp. 464-477.
- “Singularidade, transgressão e ética na legendagem”. Linguagem em Foco 2, UECE, 2009, pp. 27-38.
- “Por uma abordagem sistêmica, descritiva, funcional e subjetiva da tradução para legendas”. TradTerm 13, FFLCH, USP, 2007, pp. 13-29.
- “As práticas do mercado de tradução de multimídia“. Section on information for translators in the web page of the Brazilian Translators Union, 2006.
- “A pluralidade de abordagens com relação à leitura e à tradução: o caso de O senhor dos anéis“. Tradução em Revista, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Papel Virtual Editora, 2004, pp. 21-40.
- “Tradução automática: uma ferramenta de auxílio ao tradutor”. Co-author: Maria Carmelita Pádua Dias. Cadernos de Tradução. G. T. de Tradução, UFSC, Santa Catarina, no. 3, 1998.
- “‘The Sisters’, de James Joyce – Luz, escuridão e sentidos nas traduções de Roberto O’Shea e Hamilton Trevisan”. Cadernos de Tradução. G. T. de Tradução, UFSC, Santa Catarina, no. 2, 1997, pp. 127-135. Work made for the Literary Translation class at the post-graduation course.